I've determined I think karma is a terrible idea. This has been another one of my long standing but recently reflected upon beliefs which is now being fleshed out in writing.
Sunday evening on my way home from a good friends house there was a car stopped in the middle of Holly, just North of Arapahoe Rd. So naturally I stop next to this car and ask the driver if they need help. She responds back in a confused yes, to which I tell her to pull off at the street which is 30 ft. ahead. She informs me her tire is flat, so I respond that is not a problem, pull off and I'll change it for her. Upon pulling over I get all of the tools necessary and begin to change her tire. She tells me this is huge karma points for me. Now this is not the first time someone has said this to me over the past year or so, so I politely respond with a, "I'm not really sure I believe in karma." To which she says, "Well do unto others then I guess". While I think this is also a good moral thing, I'm not sure that was my motivation either.
See, I think my problem with karma is that fundamentally it's a self serve process. I mean, I guess if your only motivation in life to be a better individual or to care about someone other than self is based upon what you will receive in return, I suppose this is better than being completely self involved and indifferent to others, but I'm not sure by how much. Is it wrong to be a good person or care about others just for the sake of you feel that is important? That maybe it is important to you as an individual to help others in need just because. Why must there always be some other motivation for what we do? I mean it's easy to love and help those who are close to us or we care about, but what about everyone else? I know that if I did not pull over to help change this girls tire that someone else probably would eventually, but thats not the point. Is there any value in aiming to leave a positive impact upon the community (or world even)that we live in for nothing more than to hope that it will influence others in that community to do something of the same? I know that I believe perfect scenarios can not exist because of the corruption of man, and thus easy examples for failures in attempts for greatness can be found in everything from politics, to education, to business and to even some relationships. But really what would be so hard of stopping thinking about ourselves and giving out of the belief that if we can get enough people on board with no self motivated rewards other than making the world they live in a better place that a positive impact can truly be left? And it's not motivated out of bitterness of what was formerly existent, thus no political movement can encompass anything close to this, nor can any institution. Because agendas will always ruin the true deeds of goodness. It is so much more simple than any group can portray. It is at the level of individual hearts not building up in hopes of what is better to come for them. Thus, karma is a terrible idea.
Do something individual, and interact with the world with the goal of nothing more than being of benefit to your surroundings. Kill the theory of motivation for self benefit, and live life free of the chains which we have created. Come out from under those institutions, which will crumble without the loyal base, so that our motivation can be pure and the outcome might actually be of benefit to someone, and not just self.
To finish on the note of the girl whose tire I changed. While changing her tire I discovered she had probably had too much to drink this evening, and was already lost as her goal was to make it to Thornton; and she had traveled the opposite direction from where she started to get there. So I changed her tire, and a friend of hers showed up, he helped be putting the jack back in the car after I changed the tire... and was there with a supportive hug for her. She thanked me again, he thanked me. She gave me a hug, and on I went to return home to rest for the next day of work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment