Tuesday, November 4, 2008

crap day

I've been finding myself in interesting situations lately. But today is a particularly interesting one. So it's not even lunch yet and already today my schedule has been packed with stuff to do (except now of course since I'm writing this). the true stink of today started about 9:20 when I decided I needed a break and thus I was going to get some food. So I drive over to Goodtimes thinking a tiny burger sounded nice. But I was in a hurry so I had to get there and back relatively quick because I had a safety meeting I had to attend at 9:30. So I arrive at said Goodtimes, and it seems that it might not be open yet, so I drive around the building a little just to see if they had posted hours, but there was nothing posted. However I noticed someone moving inside, so I backed up a little. At this point in time I receive a call on the radio mentioning emergency at work and I need to call an ambulance. So as receiving this message I loose track of the fact I am backing up and end up bumping the building. With my radio still beeping and my boss telling me I need to take care of the situation I decided to leave the scene for the emergency at the site.

I arrive back to the site and encounter said emergency. A delivery guy while unloading his truck had a bit of an unfortunate incident and ultimately broke his hip, but seemed as if he was going to have a heart attack. So I am now on the phone with the paramedic dispatcher trying to explain the situation and the directions for the paramedics to get on to my job site. I have to wait for them, and so in the mean time I call Goodtimes to inform the manager of the situation and that I will return in the next 20-30 minutes. This is all happening while sirens are blaring (this was probably to my benefit in assisting my conversation with the manager about the real emergency I had left for). So then I wait for the paramedics to do there thing, and have a short conversation with the head of the group before they leave my site in pursuit of the nearest hospital.

I now return to Goodtimes, feeling like a complete idiot for backing into their building, but knowing it is the right thing to do to return and fix what I screwed up. So I make it there and meet with John the general manager (very nice fellow). He assures me it's not a big deal and that he is impressed that I called and came back. He understood my reasoning for leaving and probably treated me much better than necessary. The conclusion to which is that he was going to get some price quotes and call me before ever contact my insurance, and that no police would need to be involved. He wanted to make sure that if it was less than my deductible (which judging by my "professional" construction opinion is substantially lower) that I didn't get dinged by my insurance and that I could just pay out of pocket. So while still less than ideal that I screwed up and work has to be done, at least it's not looking terrible.

So then I return back to the site feeling stupid and irresponsible. I haven't ever done anything like this before, and I swear if it wasn't for the bad timing of it all I wouldn't be in the situation I am currently. Beyond which I still have to turn my mail in ballot to the county clerks office before 7pm, meet with my insurance agent at 4pm (completely unrelated to todays incidents, this was actually a postponed meeting from yesterday), run home and clean up, meet up with a coworker who is taking me along with him and his two sons (around my age) to sit in the company box at the pepsi center to see metallica... I know there is more on my plate as well, I just can't recall everything off the top of my head currently. Not to mention the emotional state of life currently. And to top things off even more I just had a delivery truck pull onto my site and hit a parked skidster as he carelessly turned the corner. It's not even lunch time yet. I mean of course things could be much worse, but so far it has been a long start to the morning...

No comments: